Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Chocolate Frosting

I have finally found a reason to bake a cake from scratch. I have always used the store bought cake mix and icing, but not this time. This time around its going to be some hard 'sweet' work. And what better time to make it than my husband's Bday.

The recipe that I have chosen is one by Ina Garten (Food Network). Its her Beattys chocolate cake. I have changed the measurements/methods some to suit my taste/style.





Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp instant coffee powder mixed with 1 cup hot water

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease 2 (9 or 8 inch pans) - I used a 9 inch.
Using a hanld held mixer mix all the ingredients adding one at a time at a low speed.

I generarlly start with the liquid ingredients and then add the dry ones ending with the flour. I added the coffee right at the end - the only reason I do this is cos then there s less dishes to clean and the cake tasted jsut fine :)

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 30 minutes and then cool completely on a rack.

Place 1 layer flat side up and using a spatula spread the frosting evenly. Place the second layer on top and cover the entire cake with frosting. The decorating part would depend on how skilled you are.



Chocolate Frosting:

6 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs instant coffee powder

Chop and melt the chocolate and cool it to room temperature. (I made my husband do this. You have got to walk the walk to eat the cake :) )Beat the butter until it is creamy. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract and continue beating.
Now add the sugar in parts and beat it on a low speed until smooth and creamy.
Mix the coffee powder in 2 tsp of hot water. On low speed add the coffee and chocolate to the butter mixture until well mixed. Spread it on the cooled cake.

Tips: chilling the mixing bowl beforehand helps. Also helps to turn on the air conditioner :)We totally enjoyed the cake and I shall not use a store bought cake mix ever again.

bon appetit !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails