Friday, June 18, 2010

Raspberry-Almond Coffeecake

My husband loves his evening 'chai' and I am always looking to try a new snack to go along with it. Since I love baking, I put on my imaginary thinking cap and start searching for ideas online.I am not sure how many people know this but 'Kerala' which is a southern state in India is also famous for "bakeries" along with coconut, fish, bananas, spices and .....the list is endless.

anways getting back to my point, I remmember these small cakes that we used to buy from our favorite bakery. It had pieces of fruits in them and they came individually wrapped like a toffee - they were very comforting. All those memories of good old days drive me to try a coffeecake that uses fruit and since my husband's going to be eating most of it, I have got to incorporate nuts too.

So here we are finally with a raspberry-almond coffeecake.



Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan.
Combine the raspberries and brown sugar in a bowl and set it aside.

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients starting with butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and sour cream. Now add the dry ingredients to this mixture. Stir just until moist. Spoon 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Spread raspberry mixture evenly over the batter. Spoon remaining batter over raspberry mixture. Top with lightly toasted almonds.
Bake for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes and then by all means attack the cake :)

Tips: since I had a 9-inch pan the cake was thinner than what I had in mind. I personally wouldnt change anything when I make it again, but If you have a lot more people to serve then you might want to increase or double the proportions.

bon appetit !!!

Ingredients:

1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
2 tps brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tbs butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1/4 cup sliced almonds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails