Thursday, June 24, 2010

Raspberry Mousse

Fridays are always the best. Its the end of the work week which means a lot of people walk in late and walk out early than other days. Its also the day where most of us have the luxury of a long lunch hour or surprising treats at the office cafeteria.
On one such Friday, I walked to the cafeteria to get my weekly dose of fish and guess whats on the menu....about 3 different kinds of mousse for dessert in shot glasses...oh my...getting generous are we ?

The closest thing we normally get to a dessert is a yogurt parfait. So, you can imagine what my next step was...oh by the way...did I mention that I love love love mousse. Since I settled on a chocolate-vanilla mousse that day, the following weekend, I decided to whip up a raspberry mousse. It turned out pretty good though a tad sweeter than I d like. So if your berries are high on the sweet quotient, go easy on the sugar.




Ingredients:

1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1 egg white
3 Tbs sugar
1/2 - 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbs unflavored gelatin


Directions:
Add the gelatin to 2 Tbs of warm water and set aside. Grind the raspberries along with the sugar and some water to get a thick syrup. Pass the raspberry mixture through a sieve to remove the seeds. Add gelatin to the raspberry mixture.
Beat the egg white until stiff and add to the raspberry mixture. At this point, you could add more sugar. I find that the sweetness of the berries are sufficient though. Beat the whipping cream on high until its creamy, light and fluffy. Fold the raspberry mixture into the whipped cream little at a time.
Refrigerate the mousse and garnish with raspberries or chocolate chips when ready to serve.
bon appetit !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails